Monday, October 12, 2009

Sentence 12

His sentence: And this is a question which I should like to ask of you, who have arrived at that time which the poets call the "threshold of old age": Is life harder toward the end, or what report do you give of it?


From Plato's Republic

The author begins the sentence with a conjunction and announces the upcoming question to a character "you," referred to in the following adjective clause that proceeds the colon. Then comes the question which juxtaposes two nonparallel dependent clauses.

My sentence: But, I wish to inquire of You, who hung the moon and the stars: How can you love me so, or where does this love end?

1 comment:

sheflair said...

Wow--you're reading Plato. I'm impressed! You realize, of course, it is the ancient Greeks we can thank for coining and categorizing many of the rhetorical devices!

Good work on the sentences.